Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Alive

Now Playing : "Make This Go On Forever" - Snow Patrol


Something incredible happened to me yesterday. 

My passion for writing has been reignited.

It's been over three years since I wrote the last hanging sentence of a story I never managed to complete. Inspiration never came and when forced, I wrote nothing but nonsense that I was downright unhappy with. Edit, edit, edit and finally, delete. Save changes? No.

I had (or well, I still do) assignments which needed last minute tweakings. But then, unexpectedly yet miraculously the sudden inspiration for writing came like wildfire. I could not let this opportunity go, I had to jump on this and at the end of just one day, I had written over six thousand words. The best part; there was no endless editing. I was happy with every last word I wrote. Just like old times.

Being able to write again has made me feel so alive but most importantly, it reminded me of what being passionate about something felt like. Not that I'm not passionate about certain things at the moment, but there was once upon a long time when I was so passionate about writing that I wrote to no end and my mind was always thinking up new story lines, new plots, new characters, new dialogues, new conflicts...the possibilities were endless. 

My writing is heavily influenced by my emotions which in turn, are highly influenced by the songs I listen to which resonate the exact emotions I'm trying to inject into a scene. Perhaps this may sound quite odd to you, but to write a scene filled with overtones of melancholy while I do not feel the slightest hint of sadness in myself will almost always be considered subpar. I would refuse to write until I started to feel my heart literally ache from grieving sadness caused by handpicked songs. I would listen to them endlessly until I felt that emotion that I needed in order to write perfectly...and when I do, the story lines I have yet to write transform into full blown movies in my head which synchronize perfectly with the playing music. I need to feel all the anger, all the sadness, all the depression my character is going to feel. I have often cried while I wrote and reread painful scenes. It may sound completely nuts, but it makes it all the more powerful and personal. 

The point is this; it's not worth writing if it can't make you feel exactly what it wants you to feel. You need not relate to the character, but you should feel all its emotions.

It's so good to be writing again. Life is so much better with it.

No comments: