Thursday, June 28, 2007

Fast-food firms get more time over content display

Now Playing : "Run" - Snow Patrol


(Point your rat over the title, it'll take you to a desired location)

It seems that no sooner after I had just blogged a food post, here I am typing up another food post--but hey, when inspiration hits, you do what you gotta do; blog.

First off, *clapclap* to the government for doing something about curbing the growing obesity problem among Malaysians. Secondly, *BOO* to them for putting all the blame on all-things-foreign again--this time--fast food chains. Before you smack me, I agree that Mickey Dees, KFC, A&W and all the others contain like a bajillion calories but they are not the only culprits to people getting fatter and someone should smack some VIP for exonerating local fares from this problem.

Of courselah, I'm talking about all those mamak stores and coffee shops which also serve dishes that contain a bajillion calories!! If they want to protect the interests of local fares, that's fine, but come on lah, who are they really kidding?? The masses should have the right to know what's in our local fare as well--MORE SO since it's local and presumably we eat it more often. Let the people know that while Mickey's Filet-O-Fish has about 600 calories, our favorite char koey teow also has about 600 calories! Don't even get me started on chinese fried rice and worse, mamak food which can be found dripping in oil and swimming in fatty coconut milk. Fast food contains more preservatives you argue? Is fresh food swimming in oil or coconut milk any better?

Ask a non-thin person how they got so fat and more often than not, their first immediate answer would be "too much mamaking, of course!" See what I'm saying? Even if they do just go for drinks, how is Coke better when our teh tarik or ais milo are so thick, you might as well be drinking the powder. Heaping spoonfuls of condensed milk? Bring it on.

While I'm not trying to portray myself as a fast food advocate nor am I going to pull a "Fast Food Nation" stunt, I do think the government should require our favorite mamak hangouts and coffee shops to display the nutritional content of their fares.

I mean, y'know, if you truly want to curb this obesity thing...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

filet-o-fish definitely not 600 calories la that's ridiculous! it's so tiny how can so much calories? anyway just scrape off the sauce, half the calories gone liow, put chilli sauce instead.

Sue Ling said...

Unfortunately, not everyone is like you and eats just half a burger. At first, I was also shocked that FOF contained 600 calories when I was under the assumption that it was about 300. A pretty informative caloric website proved me wrong. Trust me, you don't wanna find out what other "small things" contain a bomb of calories.